Friday, October 22, 2010

I know that I said ...

... that I wouldn't be blogging tonight but here I am in the harbour (well, the terminal, not the harbour) of the ferry terminal at Channel Port Aux Basques with a few hours to go before I sail back to civilisation and I've discovered an internet hotspot. And furthermore some very kind lady fellow passenger has shown me how to configure my computer to use it ;-)

Last night's B&B was exciting. $50 a night for the room and breakfast. Breakfast was help-yourself, make it yourself, cook it yourself - just like last nights where my stock of food was put to good account. And although the room was advertised as "with private bath" I quickly learnt that what that meant was that when it was your turn to go in, you could have it to yourself without 20 people clambering in with you. And that's not as strange as it might appear either as all through breakfast different people kept on appearing - out of the attic, from tunnels in the ground, all kinds of places. It was a hobbit-hole to go with the best. But who's complaining? $50 with breakfast and I could do with some more places like that on my travels.

Today I mooched around until it went dark when I made it to the ferry port. I suppose I really could have spent another half-day at least in St Johns. But I tell you what - that slow cooker and inverter did the business. After lunch I threw in some water, a couple of handfuls of pasta and half a tin of beans - and a while later 1/3 of a tin of sauce, and it cooked itself in the boot of Casey. And while I wouldn't say that it was boiling, it was hot enough to eat. I reckon that meal cost me less than $1:00 and if I can keep this up, it'll go some way to bringing the budget back under control.

The ship tonight is not the Joseph and Clara Smallwood - it's the "Caribou". So I did say to the girl at the ticket office that I hope it doesn't get torpedoed tonight in mid-channel. But this is a long long crossing over some of the most unpredictable waters in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment