Thursday, April 7, 2011

I'm burnt.

Firstly by the sun. We had a magnificent day today, easily the best of the year. And I spent it in unloading Caliburn, stacking stuff wherever I could find some room (and that wasn't easy - I'm beginning to feel the pinch here now) and then I washed out the inside of Caliburn where things had been leaking.

All the time of doing that, the sun was beating down upon me and I'm now a delicate shade of lobster. And cutting my hair (it had gone a bit wild just recently) didn't help either as I'm now likely to get a suntan on there. I had to clean and overhaul my hair clippers as they were all clogged up, and now they cut as well as they ever did.

And when I knocked off, the water temperature in the solar shower was 40°C and I had a gorgeous shower. That really was nice.

But the best bit of news comes from the second way that I burnt myself - and that was with the washing-up water. And no, I didn't leave the kettle on too long. At 22:00 when I came to do the washing up, the water in the home-made immersion heater was an astonishing, incredible 64°C. It had gone off the scale (over 70°C) during the course of the day and that is down completely to the insulation. This morning, the water was still 34°C after yesterday's exertions - I could have had a shower ( and we aren't talking the OUSA Executive Committee here either) in that. It's proof positive that good insulation is definitely the way forward.

Electrically-heated washing water is a major milestone for me in my search for autonomy and I am glad that I've managed it. But this insulation is giving me another headache - with temperature over 70°C with 2 hours of sunlight left and a few more hours to come later in the summer, I'm going to be perilously near boiling up and I don't need that at all. I'm going to have to rig up a proper immersion heater with thermostat and all of that - and then what will I do with the surplus electricity? But at least it is the right kind of headache.

And in other news, I now have a car transporter trailer. The company who makes them can't build mine until July but they are building one for a dealer - exactly the one that I want - and he'll sell it to me at the factory price if I go and collect it. The factory will keep it until the end of May when I'm in the UK and this is really good news

1 comment:

  1. You're in France and burnt. Does that make you a French Fry?

    ReplyDelete