Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I've been in the garden again this afternoon.

This time though it's the heavy engineering stuff.

You may remember that between the greenhouse and the mega-cloche was a patch of land covered by a tarpaulin - where I was going to erect the aluminium greenhouse. But following a donation by Simon of the old windows from his workshop, I changed my plans. I promised the aluminium greenhouse to Liz and Terry and I was planning to build a balloon-framed structure that I could fit the windows into.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, this afternoon I cleaned up all of the rubbish that had accumulated there, removed the bits of aluminium greenhouse, rolled up the tarp and set to digging out a square trench. With the land sloping downhill quite steeply there, I've had to dig out so that the square trench is more-or-less level, and I'm setting a row of breeze blocks into the soil there - the purpose of those being to make some kind of horizontal level and keep the wooden frame of the greenhouse out of the damp soil.

Once I've finished the breeze blocks I can make a start on building the framework for the greenhouse. The back wall will be covered in the cheap tongue and grooving that is on sale at Brico Depot - I've tons of that. The roof will be plastic corrugated sheeting like the verandah, although I'll invent a system of roof openings to allow the air to circulate, and I'll build a door for the uphill side. Everything else will be Simon's windows.

This morning though Liz and I were in the recording studio at Radio Tartasse doing our programmes for the month of May. And Henri, the old guy who helps out there, had a chat with me about the Tacot - the old narrow-gauge railway that used to run from the lime kilns at Marcillat to the steelworks at Commentry. He showed me on the map the traces of the old line, and said that next month he would bring me all of the paperwork that he has on it, including a book on the subject.

Won't that be exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment