Friday, April 22, 2011

I've dealt with the question of the water butts today.

But it isn't how I want it, and I'm going to have to do it again.

I took down the guttering on the verandah, scrubbed it all out because it was filthy, reset the supports and then rehung it all, nice and clean. I then ripped out the old piping to the butts to deal with all of that.

You'll notice that I've put back the sump - just in front of the verandah window. That was my first idea and I replaced it because the first of the grey bulges in the pipework, that is in fact a sump, and the idea was that every few months I'd dismantle the filters, empty and clean them, and put them back. But that never happened and there was all kinds of stuff in there. And so the sump went back in. Just unscewing the blanking plug at the end will empty that out.

Next task was to clean out the water butts. Using all of the 4 kettles, a saucepan and two 25-litre containers, I managed to save all of the water. There wasn't much in it. But the water containers are out of the way in the dark to keep them fresh and I'll be drawing on them for now. The butts needed cleaning as you might expect - it's been a couple of years since they were last done - but the home-made puzzolane filter (the second grey bulge) is surprisingly effective. You can tell that by looking at the inside of the pipe in (a muddy brown) and the inside of the pipe out (a dusty ilght grey) and I'm glad that that works fine. But one major surprise is that the IKEA stainless steel mesh from an old strainer - it isn't stainless at all and all the mesh filters that I made from that have rusted. That's a disappointment.

From here on in it was just a list of problems. I can't find the bits that I put on one side to make the replacement sump and the replacement filter. I searched as much as I could but no luck - not that it is suprising around here of course. I can't find anything. And so I've had to put the old ones back.

But at least I can get to them. The new tap that I was going to fit in the butt to replace the broken plastic one - that isn't going to work. And after ages of scratching around I've found an old one and some bulkhead fitting that might do the job. The hole needed to be filled after all. I'll have to organise another tap at the weekend and hope that it isn't too late.

I say too late because now that everything is clean and proper and ready, all I need is a torrential rainstorm. And I hope that it comes soon.

2 comments:

  1. Stainless steel labels - pah! I can look at steel and say whether it's stainless or not. I look at a lot of the "stainless" stuff in the shops and I can tell at a glance it's chromed, not stainless.

    One of the other popular tricks is to label microfibre as suede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that, but surely not IKEA :-(

    ReplyDelete