Wednesday, September 5, 2012

It's not even 23:00 yet ...

... and I'm absolutely whacked. 2 early-morning starts have done for me and so I'm off to bed in a minute.

One thing about a 07:30 start though is that you can do tons of work and I'm well round the fortifications of Québec City now. Mind you, there's still a long way to go before I can leave the place, let alone finish my voyage from earlier this year. As well as that, there are the journeys from 2010 and 2011 that have yet to see the light of day and I need to deal with them. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

This afternoon saw me up on the wall again. I had to rearrange the scaffolding and then I raked out underneath the horizontal beam over tbe windows and cemented that in properly. From there I cemented in one of the window frames that I fitted the other day and then did a big pile of touching up. Not that I would ordinarily bother but this new trowel is just so good. Short, narrow and very springy, it makes a lovely finish on the wall.

For the second part of the afternoon it was much more complicated. There is a huge crack in this wall too and a few of the sones are quite loose. I've been moving them out, cleaning out the mud and sand that they use round here for mortar, and then finding slightly bigger stones to fit in the holes. It's like a jigsaw puzzle and needs to be done very carefully, but I'm getting there. Finishing it all by next weekend may well be a tad optimistic.

So for tea I cooked rice in the ele"ctric steamer and had a helping of the pepper and lentil curry I made last night. Rosemarie rang me up in the middle of it all for a chat too which is nice, even if my tea did go cold.

And right now, 23:06 it is and I'm off to bed. I can hardly keep my eyes open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment