Monday, July 25, 2011

Well I'm here ...

... although I'm not all here, as various people keep reminding me.

We had another excellent drive and I was here in Brussels after just 8 hours and 30 minutes on the road - and that includes stopping to eat a pizza and to fuel up. That's pretty impressive too.

But that's not the only stop that I made. Along the route between Chalons-sur-Marne and Charleville-Mezieres my path takes me over an escarpment that was the scene of very bitter fighting during World-War I and the area is littered with old remains and abandoned trenches and the like. And we go past the Ossuary of Navarin, where they keep the bones of soldiers discovered in more recent times and where there is the grave and a memorial to President Roosevelt's brother, who was killed there. Last night was the first time that I had ever seen it illuminated and so it had to be worth a photograph.

This morning I emptied the garage and had swept it out all within 10 minutes and finished off by having my final shower on the premises. The afternoon and evening I spent round at Marianne's and now I'm parked up on the lorry park behind the RTBF tower at Schaerbeek. The irony of this is that it was here that I spent the night the day before I signed to buy Expo. What a strange thought to remember.

Anyway, let's see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment