Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I didn't manage ...

... to do as much in the garden as I was hoping to today, and for several reasons as well.

Firstly, it's taking longer than I thought to clear out these beds, with the amounts of weeds that are in them.
Secondly, the framework of the bed was damaged and so it needed repairing.
Thirdly, there were already some plants growing in there - maybe leeks that had grown from some seeds that I put in there last year - and they needed careful handling.

Not only that, I've been "revisiting" the areas that I have cleared of brambles and nettles so far this year, pulling up anything that looks like it might be showing signs of taking root or growing - I need to keep on top of what I've already done. Each day I try to do 10 minutes of "revisiting" but quite often, and today being a case in point, a nettle root takes me off in an unexpected direction and I end up tackling a huge bed of nettles and brambles that I hadn't noticed before, and that takes a while to sort out. Not that I'm complaining of course - it needs to be done and there's no time like the present, but it takes so much time away from what I'm doing.

Anyway, now I have one of the beds done, and there is now garlic in it. Only three more of this batch to do, and these will have onions, shallots and leeks. But curiously, when I knocked off tonight, it was 19:42 and it's been a long time since I've been out there working that late, and enjoying myself while I'm doing it.

I had a bad night's sleep though. Evidently a mouse or two were hibernating in the wall, having got there I suppose through where there was a piece of plasterboard missing. I did that earlier this year, and of course now that the mice have awoken, they can't find their way out and so at 04:00 they go running around doing a clog dance inside the walls looking for the exit. I wish that they would hurry up and starve to death or something.

This morning we were radioing at Marcillat for Radio Tartasse. We've finished rubbish and so we'll have to think of a new subject for May's programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment