Friday, March 30, 2012

It's "new toy" time again.

I told you the other day that I had ordered a new DVD player - an AKAI 12-volt television, 16" screen, with built-in DVD player. Anyway, it turned up this morning.

First thing that I did was to cut off the cigarette lighter plug (I hate these) from the 12-volt connector lead, wired a fuseholder into the lead and then wired it up to an American plug. For the benefit of newer readers, I have a 12-volt electrical circuit running around the house, using American plugs and sockets. I use them for the simple reason that they take heavier cable and I use 6mm cable for the circuit - the bigger the better to avoid voltage drop.

Anyway, the cable works and so does the DVD player. It even played one of the DVDs that wouldn't work on the old in-car DVD, and the sound quality is exceptional. I'm really pleased with it.

Only downside is the remote control. The keys are moulded plastic with the symbols moulded in., the same colour (light grey) as the keys. And so it's really difficult to tell which key that you need to press, especially in the dim light. But that's a minor point.

Apart from that, then besides another couple of hours on the computer, I was outside in the garden for much of the day. Another bed has been dug over and the remainder of the onion sets were planted and a few lines of leeks were sown. After that I did a little hoeing and planted the beans that I had soaking, some cabbage, sprouts and cauliflower seeds.

I've also planted all of the raspberry plants that Liz kindly gave me in exchange for the lettuce from the other week.

All in all, it's been another busy day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment