Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I had a much better day today.

Or, at least, I think that I did but I won't know until I compare the photo of today's work with that of yesterday's. Anyway, this morning the issue of the chisel was decided by the fact that I couldn't find the old screwdriver no matter how hard I looked, and so I fetched a metalworking chisel from the toolbox and I'll be using that until I can buy a stonemason's chisel on Saturday.

And it worked wonders too - first thing that I did after midday was to chase out a huge segment of mortar, and I was doing so well that I reckoned that I'd bung a bucket-load of mortar in before lunch. I must have been so carried away though because a glance at the clock told me that it was 14:20 - a good 20 minutes after lunchtime and that's not like me - you can call me anything you like as long as you don't call me late for lunch.

After lunch I heaved 6 buckets of mortar into the wall but although it all went in really well and I was making some really nice and consistent mixes, this huge crack is being rather awkward and it isn't really going how I want it to go. None of the stones that I can find are the correct size and so it's being a little patchy. it'll all stick together, that's for sure, but it's not as artistic as I would like it to be.

A good morning on the radio programmes too - I'm now up to 23kb of our latest effort and it'll be another big one I reckon - certainly overtaking the "load of rubbish" that we did in February and March.

But hark at me, hey? "Not as artistic as I would like it to be" - who do I think I am? I'll be starting to criticise other people's curtains if I carry on like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment