Saturday, April 30, 2011

I finally got onto the greenhouse today.

Just for a change, the weather this afternoon was quite reasonable (well, mostly), and so after the customary couple of hours on the Newfoundland website I went and hunted down some wood.

The big thing though is that I don't have enough. I'm building the front and back out of chevrons, and the two sides out of demi-chevrons. I need about 10 of each but I only have 6 chevrons and 4 demi-chevrons so I'll have to go to the sawmill next week.

But with 5 of the chevrons I made the back of the greenhouse. It's going to consist of two uprights 2m40 high and 3 cross-pieces 3m20 long. The cross-pieces will be let into the uprights at ground level and at 1m95- That makes about 1m88 for the windows, which are 1m875 tall. The third cross-piece will be let in at the top and this leaves a run of about 38cms the whole length. I'll be dividing that into 4 pieces (72x38) and buying some cheap glass to fit into there.

But making it out of chevrons is going to make it heavy so I'm going to have to take the pieces down to the greenhouse base and assemble it in situ. I don't fancy my chances of assembling it and then having to carry it down there.

But learning from when I made the verandah, I need to prepare the uprights and then pre-drill them before I assemble the thing. Trying to manoeuvre it all into position and then drill it will be almost impossible. It was bad enough with the verandah and that was smaller as well as being made with just demi-chevrons. I'll be joining the front, the sides and the back all together with stud iron (or threaded rod as they call it these days) as I doubt that there will be coach bolts long enough.

And tomorrow it's shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment