Thursday, August 4, 2011

Well, I'm exhausted this evening.

I had another early start for a change and then attacked the web site. I've almost finished the Halifax pages and it won't be too long before they are on line.

After that, seeing as the weather was miserable, I attacked the Sankey Trailer. That's now empty at last, and I've fitted the new bracket for the dolly wheel. That meant drilling the chassis, seeing as it's a heavy duty bracket and doesn't fit into the holes of the lightweight one, and the huge inverter, a LIDL 300-watt electric drill and sone decent bits (stepping up from 3mm, 5mm, 8mm, 10mm) made short work of that. But the problem isn't really the bracket - the jockey wheel just isn't strong enough for it. But never mind - there will be one on one of the old caravan chassises that I can use.

After lunch I set about cleaning out the room that is over the bread oven in the lean-to. Full of tiles, dust, straw, all kinds of stuff in there since God knows when. That took a while and I'm now on the way to building a pile of wooden shelving to go in there. I'm going to store in there everything that won't be spoiled by rats - such as engine oil, paint, all kinds of things like that. It's high time I had a go at getting my storage sorted out.

So that took until about 18:30 when I ran out of easily-available wood. What I did then was to move the Sankey trailer into its new home. And I rather wish I hadn't because you have no idea how heavy it is, and it's all uphill as well. I finally got it to move and then I realised that I couldn't let it go as it would roll back down right into Caliburn. A Sankey (these are the old British Army Landrover trailers in case you are wondering) weighs about half a ton and that is blasted heavy going uphill on your own when you have a pulled muscle in your shoulder, I can tell you. But it's now in place and I had to go and lie down for an hour afterwards. It's a long time since I've hurt like that.

This evening I've been surfing the web. Shopping on IKEA Montreal, Walmart Montreal, a Solar Panel shop in St Laurent, and a few other places besides. I'm having to do all of this on my own of course, the way things have turned out, but it's still exciting all the same.

With regard to a mobile phone, that scam company never got back to me, as I suspected that they might not. I was looking on eBay for a triband phone for North America but the prices are absurd, and then I saw a battery for the ancient Nokia 6110 that is hanging around here - just £2:49 plus 35p postage. What I'll do is just pile loads of credit on my French mobile number and use that with the Nokia. It would have been easier with a proper phone and a proper phone number but there are some things that you just can't do remotely.

One thing that I realised years ago, and I can't ever remember why I keep on forgetting it, is that at the end of the day I just have to be self-reliant, do what I can do myself, and not lose any sleep about anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment