Monday, August 27, 2012

Today didn't work out ...

... like it was supposed to.

The morning bit went OK. The first port of call was to La Cellette and the Pilgrimage of St Avit. He's the patron saint of the church here and he is also the patron saint of children (at least in this part of the world). His well is just outside La Cellette and apparently 1500 years ago the water from it helped cure one of these infantile epidemics, something that was classed as a miracle.

Every 2nd Sunday after 15th August the well is blessed and a statue of St Avit is paraded around the village. Hordes of children come to the pilgrimage, especially those whose medical condition isn't so good. They are presumably hoping for a similar miracle as happened 1500 years ago and something that Liz and Terry said later made me think that with the current state of the NHS and other medical services, praying for a miracle is probably just as effective as the treatment that the NHS gives out.

From there, Marianne and I went to St Magnier for the final pot d'acceuil of the season. The attraction here was not a musical turn but a rope-maker, who spent the session teaching people to use his rope-making machine.

My attention however was diverted by the vehicle in which he arrived. A 1949 Renault Juvaquatre estate car - something that is as rare as hen's teeth. It was a gorgeous machine. It's been ages since I've seen one like that.

Back home after lunch I waited for a phone call  - and waited, and waited. I was supposed to be meeting someone to go to Virlet brocante but i didn't get the call and to tell you the truth I fell asleep at about 16:00 - I really don't know what's up with me these days.

At Liz and Terry's, Liz and I rehearsed our radio shows and after tea we discussed a few plans and projects.

Tomorrow we are recording, and then it's back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment